Institute for Creation Research
From CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
The Institute for Creation Research (ICR) is one of the largest creationist groups in the United States. To supporters and detractors alike, ICR stands out among young earth creationist groups for the prominence of its research activities.
|“||We believe God has raised up ICR to spearhead Biblical Christianity's defense against the godless and compromising dogma of evolutionary humanism. Only by showing the scientific bankruptcy of evolution, while exalting Christ and the Bible, will Christians be successful in “the pulling down of strongholds; casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ” 2Corinthians 10:4-5 (NKJV).||”|
- NEWS Dallas researchers out to scientifically prove biblical version of creation The Institute for Creation Research received featured news piece including interviews with several of their scientists. Dallas Morning News, August 15, 2014.
Institute for Creation Research
Phone: (800) 337-0375
Fax: (214) 615-8299
Dr. Henry M. Morris II first established ICR in 19701970
5973 AM as the research division of Christian Heritage College (now known as San Diego Christian College). ICR's initial focus was on research, communication, and education in the fields of origins science. In 1981, ICR became an autonomous institution. (CHC had planned to seek accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and Dr. Morris did not wish to complicate his group's educational mission by being part of any institution seeking a secular accreditation.
Also in 1981, ICR founded its own Graduate School and began its first course offerings. ICR received formal State accreditation almost immediately upon becoming autonomous. A propaganda campaign against the group and school ensued almost at once, and for a brief span, the school lost its accreditation and had to sue the State of California for reinstatement. Then in 1995, California recognized the Trans-national Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) as an accrediting agency, and the ICR Graduate School obtained its accreditation through TRACS.
In 2006, the Institute decided to relocate the bulk of its operations to Dallas, Texas. It opened its first distance-learning program in that city in the summer of 2006. ICR's stated reasons for the move are threefold:
- High cost-of-living in California and especially the cost of housing. Living expenses in northern Texas are much less.
- Desire for a more-central location with respect to ICR's national and international donor base and speaking engagements.
- Likelihood of a higher level of community support in northern Texas than in southern California.
In 2006, Henry Morris II died. The new headquarters of ICR, the Henry M. Morris Center for Christian Leadership, is named in his honor. In January of 2007, Dr. Morris' eldest son, Henry Morris III, took over as chief executive officer of ICR. Dr. John D. Morris serves ICR as President.
The relocation of the Graduate School in particular has necessitated a re-application for State accreditation from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, primarily because TRACS is not recognized in Texas. ICR Graduate School has already passed a preliminary review. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has scheduled a hearing on the ICR Graduate School application for April 24, 2008. ICR remains confident of winning accreditation and plans to relocate nearly all of its operations to Texas.
- Main Page: Museum of Creation and Earth History
The Museum of Creation and Earth History was established by the Institute for Creation Research in 1992, which designed, built and operated the facility until 2008, ultimately enlarging the facility to 4,000 ft2. With ICR's relocation to Texas, the museum and building was sold, and is now operated by the Life and Light Foundation.
It presents the literal six day young earth creation model, as well as expanding the emphasis on the incredible design found in that creation. The museum is designed to present a record of the events in Earth's history from the first day of Creation up to the present day.
- Main Article: ICR Graduate School
ICR previously operated a graduate school known as the ICR Graduate School. It was an educational institution that fostered research and provided graduate-level training in fields of science that are particularly relevant to the study of creation apologetics. It was operated by the Institute for Creation Research from 19811981
5984 AM until June 30, 2010. Accreditation was provided by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools through the U.S. Department of Education, and students were able to earn M.S. degrees in Science Education with minors in the fields of Astrophysics/Geophysics, Biology, Geology, and General Science.
However, after a lengthy legal battle, the Federal court in Austin Texas ruled against the Institute for Creation Research on June 17, 2010 preventing their Graduate School from offering degrees in the future. On June 25, 2010 the ICR board of directors voted to close the doors of the ICR Graduate School (ICRGS) indefinitely, effective June 30, 2010.
Despite this devastating court decision, graduate level apologetics education will remain available from ICR through the School of Biblical Apologetics. The ICR offers Master of Christian Education degrees through a new graduate program that was launched in 2009, which they will continue to operate and develop. Several minors are available (Genesis Studies, Creation Research, Christian School Teaching, and Sacred Humanities).
The Institute for Creation Research includes a large variety of creationist administration and various faculty members. This faculty includes both resident and adjunct professors in many different subjects of science. In addition to the above officers the ICR is administered by a board of trustees, a technical advisory board, a division of Education and Research, a division administrative structure, and their own chairs of academic department.
The officers of Administration are as follows:
|Chief Executive Officer: Henry M. Morris III D.Min.||President: John D. Morris Ph.D|
|Director of Research: Larry Vardiman Ph.D.||Dean of the Graduate School: Eddy Miller|
|Director of Communications: Lawrence Ford||Director of Administrative: Services Eileen Turner|
|Director of Donor Relations: Henry M. Morris, IV||Director of Internet Ministries: Richard Pferdner|
|Director of Information Technology: Daryl Robbins|
Board of Trustees
The board of trustees are as follows:
|David A. Wismer (Colorado Springs, Colorado), Chairman||Richard Bliss (Milwaukee, Wisconsin), Vice Chairman|
|Daniel Mitchell (White Oak, Texas)||Robert Armstrong (Belgrade, Montana)|
|Lt. Col. Charles C. Morse (Seoul, Korea)||Jack Brady (Dallas, Texas)|
|John Eckersley Jr. (Palm City, Florida)||Dan Manthei (Desert Hot Springs, California)|
|Henry Morris III (Irving, Texas)||John D. Morris (Santee, California)|
|Dr. Henry Morris III||Chief Executive Officer||Bible, Apologetics, Worldview|
|Dr. John D. Morris||President||Geology, Noah's Ark/Flood, Fossil Record, Age of the Earth, Mount St. Helens|
|Lawrence Ford||Director of Communications||Bible, Apologetics, Worldview|
|Dr. Gary Parker||Senior Science Lecturer||Geology/Paleontology, Biology|
|Frank J. Sherwin III||Senior Science Lecturer||Zoology, Oceans, Noah's Flood, Microbiology, Dinosaurs|
|Dr. Steve Austin||Senior Research Scientist and Chair of the Geology Department||Geology, Mount St. Helens, Grand Canyon|
|Dr. Larry Vardiman||Chair of the Astro/Geophysics Department||Atmospheric Studies, Climate Change, Ice Age, Paleoclimatology|
|Dr. James J. S. Johnson||Special Counsel / Associate Professor of Apologetics||Education, History, Biblical Studies|
|Dr. Nathaniel Jeanson||Research Associate||Biology, Stem Cells|
|Dr. Charles McCombs||Associate Professor of Chemistry / Assistant Director of NCSF||Chemistry, Age of the Earth|
|Brian Thomas||Science Writer||Biology, Problems in Evolution, Origin of Life, Dinosaurs|
|Dr. Patricia Nason||Professor and Chair of Science Education||Education, Science Classroom Curriculum|
|Lalo Gunther||Special Events Coordinator||Youth Ministry|
|Dr. Randy Guliuzza||National Representative||Human Body, Apologetics, Worldview|
In addition to all the above faculty, ICR has many scientists actively involved in research and consultation.
For many people ICR led events served as their first exposure to Biblical creation apologetics. For 40 years ICR has conducted conferences and seminars around the world in schools, churches, and in citywide events. Leading creation scientists are available to speak through the ICR on topics ranginging from "Science and the Bible", "Fossils and the Flood of Noah", "Radiometric Dating", etc.
Their premiere conference, titled Demand the Evidence serves to address the tendency of the modern Church to compromise with materialistic naturalism and accept evolutionary science. It provides answers to many important questions being asked by evangelical Christians including:
- Can Genesis be trusted when it says God created the world in six days?
- What does belief in evolution say about the character of God?
- Is the earth really millions or billions of years old?
- Who has the last word on interpreting what God said and did—scientists or Scripture?
- Are Christians prepared to combat false doctrine and those who would compromise the Word of God? 
ICR speaking events can be arranged in a variety of formats. For questions about upcoming events at ICR or to find out more information about hosting an event, email the Events Department at email@example.com, or call 800.337.0375.
- CREATION SEMINAR: One or more speakers scheduled on weekdays or weekends.
- CREATION WEEKEND: One or more speakers scheduled from Friday through Sunday.
- CREATION CONFERENCE: A team of ICR speakers scheduled for a one-day or multi-day themed event.
ICR employs a number of research scientists. In addition, the graduates of the Institute for Creation Research Graduate School are actively involved in research. The studies performed by ICR are either published in ICR books or technical monographs. Some of the research projects include:
- Field- the measure of isotopic ratios for 67 elements in the Grand Canyon basalts
- The Earth's Magnetic Field is Young, The Field Is Decaying Rapidly
- Lab- analysis of mammalian hair
- Educational- analysis of the teaching and testing of creationist-based materials, Methodology for Analysis of Science Teaching Materials from a Creationist Worldview by Steve Deckard, Richard L. Overman, Bryan A. Schneck, Candace B. Dixon, and Robert E. Brook, CRSQ 32(1). June, 1995
- Exploration- research of archaeological artifacts
- Analytical- the study of the helium concentrations in the atmosphere the determine if the earth is young
- Literature- a critical study of Kettewell's studies.
The Institute of Creation Research offers free subscriptions for its monthly publication, Acts & Facts. This popular magazine has published many different articles on the various subjects of creation, ranging from technical research to Bible-based devotions. Archives of past issues can be downloaded from the ICR website and are grouped into categories as follows.
|Acts and facts Free subscription|
Other resources are available for sell at the ICR webstore, including different softwares, books, videos/DVDs, and audio cassettes that the ICR boldly supports.
As a way to get their information out ICR has a radio broadcasts. These are just some examples of the radio programs offered in March. The broadcasts times, dates, and programs change; so to get the most updated schedule contact the broadcast station.
Space the Final Frontier- discusses the planets and space in general.
Underwater World- compares the underwater life to life on land.
Animal Invaders- discusses why animals behave the way that they do. Also, why are some great for pets, and others not.
Diamonds- talks about where diamonds come from and is there a sign from God through them.
Quaking Earth- talks about why we have earthquakes.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Schafersman, Steven. The Institute for Creation Research and It's (sic) Quest for Official Texas Certification to Award Masters Degrees in Science Education." Texas Citizens for Science, December 17, 2007; updated January 6 and January 28, 2008. Accessed March 19, 2008.
- ↑ "Creation Science Rebuttals: Institute for Creation Research." Answers in Creation. Accessed March 19, 2008.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 "A Short History of ICR." Institute for Creation Research. Accessed March 19, 2008.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Bergman, Jerry. "The Religion of Vague: An Unsuccessful Attempt by the State of California to Close a College." Revolution Against Evolution, May 22, 2003. Accessed March 19, 2008.
- ↑ Morris, John D. "Moving God's Way." Institute for Creation Research, October, 2007. Accessed March 19, 2008.
- ↑ Carlson, Cindy, curator, Museum of Creation and Earth History. Telephone interview conducted March 19, 2008.
- ↑ The Museum of Creation And Earth History Institute for Creation Research
- ↑ Creation and Earth History Museum Life and Light Foundation
- ↑ Email to ICRGS students and faculty, Henry Morris III. June 30, 2010.
- ↑ School of Biblical Apologetics Institute for Creation Research
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Graduate School of the Institute for Creation Research General Catalog 2008-2009 April 29, 2008
- ↑ ICR Speakers Institute for Creation Research. Accessed December 19, 2011.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 ICR Scientists and Faculty Institute for Creation Research
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Events Center Institute for Creation Research. Accessed December 19, 2011.
- ↑ ICR Conference Ministry Institute for Creation Research. Accessed December 19, 2011.
- ↑ ICR Article Archives