From CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
Larry Vardiman is a creation scientist and educator with a Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science from Colorado State University. He served as the chairman of the Department of Astro-Geophysics at the Institute for Creation Research’s Graduate School since 1989 and has authored many technical papers and books including overseeing the editing of the book, “Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth.”
Dr. Vardiman’s ability to converse in technical terms about creation science and also being able to communicate with the lay person has allowed God to use him in many ways — from the classroom to the great outdoors as a tour guide, to the radio waves on ICR’s radio program, Science, Scripture and Salvation.
Much of Dr. Vardiman’s scientific contributions have been in the areas of cloud seeding, ice crystal growth and evolution, the age of the earth’s atmosphere, ice sheet formation during the Ice Age, and catastrophic hurricane formation. Dr. Vardiman has also authored a book discussing creation science from a layperson’s standpoint. Entitled Over the Edge, the book chronicles his more humorous experiences as a tour guide on ICR’s Grand Canyon tours.
Prior to joining the Institute for Creation Research, Dr. Vardiman taught at Christian Heritage College as a Professor of Natural Sciences from 1982-89 and received the added responsibility of Academic Vice President from 1987-89. Dr. Vardiman also worked for the United States Air Force as an Officer with the Air Weather Service in the Aerospace Modification Division at Scott Air Force Base. He was part of the Summer Research Program with the Air Force and was appointed to the Air Force Geophysics Lab in Boston, Massachusetts, during the summer of 1985.
While obtaining his Ph.D., Dr. Vardiman served as a research assistant at Colorado State University’s Department of Atmospheric Science (1970-74) and served as a consulting Meteorologist at Western Scientific Services (1973-74). After obtaining his degree, he stayed in Colorado and served as a Consultant to the Colorado Governor’s Advisory Panel on Weather Modification and as Meteorologist for the Bureau of Reclamation, Division of Atmospheric Resources Research in Denver, CO (1974-82).
- Air Force Commendation Medal for meritorious service.
- USBR Outstanding Performance Award for April 1, 1978 to June 30, 1979.
- Christian Heritage College President’s award for distinguished service.
Some Like It Hot: One view on climate change
A discussion of the evidence that global warming is occurring, Al Gore’s theory that carbon dioxide is causing it, weaknesses in Al Gore’s theory, and an alternative explanation due to fluctuations in solar activity.
The Big Freeze: A Biblical Ice Age
A visual presentation of the evidence for an ice age and a discussion of how it fits within a young-earth creation model. There are major problems with the old-age model because it requires a catastrophic explanation. A catastrophic explanation for the ice age fits the Biblical description of conditions following the Genesis Flood and is a superior explanation.
Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth: The Earth’s Young After All
A discussion of the results of an 8-year research project to explain the billions of years for the age of the earth estimated from radioisotope dating and the thousands of years given in the Bible. Three major evidences for a young earth will be presented—(1) an alternative helium diffusion method of dating the earth associated with the decay of uranium to lead in granite, (2) accelerated decay rates inferred by radiohalos found in granite, and (3) the presence of radioactive carbon in coal and diamonds.
The Creation of the World: Understanding Gen. 1:1
A word-by-word exposition of Genesis 1:1 from a young-earth creationist perspective. How the Bible describes the creation of mass, space, and time. The theology of God, the creation of everything from nothing, and a taste of Hebrew will be addressed.
The Floods Came Up and the Rains Came Down: A catastrophic flood model
The discussion of a model for the Genesis Flood which is powerful enough to explain the geologic column, features of the Grand Canyon, and the ice age. The Catastrophic Plate Tectonics Model explains the separation of continents, mid-ocean ridges, volcanoes, and continental ice sheets and glaciers in thousands of years rather than millions.
From the Seattle Creation Conference 2005
From the Seattle Creation Conference 2009
- Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth by Larry Vardiman, Andrew Snelling, and Eugene Chaffin is a young-earth creationist research initiative of the Institute for Creation Research and Creation Research Society. 675 pages hardcover. ISBN 0-932766-19-6
- Radioisotopes and the Age of the Earth, Volume II by By Larry Vardiman, Andrew Snelling, and Eugene Chaffin. 876 page hardback. ISBN 0932766811. Pub Date: 2005
- Ice Cores and the Age of the Earth by Larry Vardiman. 73 page paperback. ISBN 0932766307
- Over the Edge by Larry Vardiman. 153 page paperback. 1999. ISBN 0890513236
- Rocks of Ages or Rock of Creation
- Radioisotopes And The Age Of The Earth: The Earth’s Young After All Recorded October 2009 at the Seattle Creation Conference.
- Global Warming audio seminar recorded Nov 2007, Surrey, BC.
- A Faulty Climate Trigger by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Mar 1, 1995, Institute for Creation Research.
- The Christian and the Greenhouse Effect by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Jun 1, 1990, Institute for Creation Research.
- Creation in the Natural History Museum of Great Britain by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Jan 1, 2002, Institute for Creation Research.
- Earth's Climate Thermostat by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Sep 1, 2001, Institute for Creation Research.
- Evolution and the Snowflake by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Dec 1, 1986, Institute for Creation Research.
- The First Young-Earth Conference on Radioisotopes by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Aug 1, 1997, Institute for Creation Research.
- Ice Cores and the Age of the Earth by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact No. 226, April 1992, Institute for Creation Research.
- ICR GENE Project by Larry Vardiman, Apr 1, 2005, Institute for Creation Research.
- Out of Whose Womb Came the Ice? by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Aug 1, 1994, Institute for Creation Research.
- Scientific Naturalism as Science by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Nov 1, 1997, Institute for Creation Research.
- What Comes after RATE? by Larry Vardiman, ICR Impact, Sep 1, 2005, Institute for Creation Research.