The theory of evolution is an explanation for the origin of the cosmos and life on Earth through natural processes. More formally known as the General Theory of Evolution, it encompasses chemical evolution, biological evolution, and cosmic evolution via the Big Bang.
Many evolutionists claim that vestigial organs are the leftover organs of evolutionary change, since we have evolved past our earlier variations or ancestors, what was needed then is no longer necessary for the current environment, and although the structure may still be physically observable, no physical or readily observable use for it can be attained. However creationists point out that these organs are indeed functional and in some cases vital to embryonic development or actually living a comfortable, normal life as a human.
Ernst Haeckel (February 16, 1834 — August 9, 1919) was a German zoologist and contemporary of Charles Darwin and in believing Darwin's proposed evolutionary theory to be correct, Haeckel began performing his own research to bolster the theory. Ernst Haeckel was so persistent with his constant passion to defend evolution and prove it fact, he earned several nicknames such as, "Darwin’s Bulldog on the Continent" and "the Huxley of Germany."
"In any case, no real evolutionist, whether gradualist or punctuationist, uses the fossil record as evidence in favour of the theory of evolution as opposed to special creation." Mark Ridley, 'Who doubts evolution?', New Scientist, vol. 90, 25 June 1981, p. 831
A, A fossil whale was found vertically through several strata The Bible is inerrant (Talk.Origins), A freshly killed seal was C14 dated at 1300 years old (Talk.Origins), A petrified hammer was found in Cretaceous rocks (Talk.Origins), Abiogenesis, Abiogenesis and ozone, Abortion, Absolute dating, Adaptation, All human fossils would fit on a billiard table (Talk.Origins), Altruism, Ambulocetus, Amino acids aren't generated from just CO2, nitrogen, and water (Talk.Origins), The Annals of the World, Anticreation, Archaeopteryx, Archaeopteryx is fully bird (Talk.Origins), Astronomical dating, Australopithecus, Australopithecus afarensis, Australopithecus africanus, Average soil depth is consistent with young earth (Talk.Origins), B, Bacterial flagella are irreducibly complex (Talk.Origins), Big bang, Biological evolution, C, Carbon-14 dating, Charles Darwin, Cladistics, Common descent, Cosmic chronology, Creation vs. Evolution, Creation vs. evolution poll, Cro-Magnon man, D, Darwin recanted on his deathbed (Talk.Origins), Darwin's finches, Darwin's finches show only microevolution (Talk.Origins), Darwin's Illness, Darwinism, Dating methods, E, Endosymbiosis, Ernst Haeckel, Eugene Dubois, Eugenie Scott, Euthanasia, Evolution, Evolution in popular culture, Evolution myths, Evolution requires as much faith as creationism (Talk.Origins), Evolution: A Theory in Crisis, Evolutionary boundary, Evolutionary psychology, Evolutionary simulation, Evolutionism, Evolutionists, Exogenesis, Expanding earth theory, Extinction, F, Fission-track dating, G, Galapagos Islands, Genetic variability, Geochronology, Geologic ages, Gradualism, H, Haldane's dilemma, Helium diffusion, History of evolutionism, Hofmeyr man, Homo antecessor, Homo erectus, Homo ergaster, Homo habilis, Homo heidelbergensis, Homology, Human migration, Human races, Hypercycle, I, Icons of Evolution: Science or Myth, Icons of Evolution: Science or Myth?, J, Java Man, John Scopes, M, Macroevolution, Microevolution, Modern evolutionary synthesis, N, Natural selection, Naturalism, Neanderthals, Nebraska Man, Nebula theory, No Answers in Genesis, P, Paleoanthropology, Panspermia, Peking Man, Peppered moth, Phylogenetic tree, Piltdown Man, Pleistocene, Principles of Geology, Punctuated Equilibrium, Q, Questions evolution can't answer, R, Recapitulation, Refuting Evolution, Refuting Evolution 2, Reverse adaptation, Richard Dawkins, S, A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism, Secularization, Sexual selection, Social darwinism, Speciation, Species, Speed of light, Spontaneous generation, Star formation, Stellar evolution, Stephen Jay Gould, Supernova remnant, T, The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex, The Lie: Evolution, The Naked Ape, Theistic evolution argument, Theory of evolution, Thomas Huxley, Transitional forms, V, Vestigial organ,
Contribute to evolution-related articles that need further development.
Translate evolution articles into other languages.
- 'Missing link' found for ancient sea reptile Scientists said on Wednesday they have unearthed in China the fossil of a small ichthyosaur with large, flexible flippers that let it move around on land like a seal. IOL SciTech, November 6 2014.
- Rapid Evolution in Real Time On islands off the coast of Florida, scientists uncover swift adaptive changes among Carolina anole populations, whose habitats were disturbed by the introduction of another lizard species. The Scientist, October 23, 2014.
- Evolution Is Not Random (At Least, Not Totally) Mutation hotspots and preserved regions of DNA reveal that changes are not the nonrandom processes that were originally assumed. Live Science, October 02, 2014.
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Pterosaurs, Except Their Evolution Despite 200 years of study, evolutionists know almost nothing about how pterosaurs evolved. A fossil graveyard in China adds to the mystery. Creation Evolution Headlines, July 8, 2014.
- Malthus Misled Darwin Who Misled the World It’s rare to see a science article say “Darwin was wrong,” but Live Science reluctantly admitted that a key idea Darwin proposed in The Origin in 1859 is the opposite of the way nature actually works. Creation Evolution Headlines, April 30, 2014.
- Museum Models of Walking Whales Don’t Match Fossils Says Filmmaker Dr. Carl Werner Werner has checked out the claims, interviewing the researchers who published, and has discovered that none of these fossils holds up as transitional to whales. Evolution: The Grand Experiment, April 4, 2014.
- In the Canadian Rockies, a Major Fossil Find Intensifies the Object of Darwin's Doubt Sudden appearance of complex body plans mystified scientists in Darwin's day, and continues to pose a severe challenge. Evolution News & Views, February 13, 2014.
- Bill Nye Scores on Debate Presentation if Not Logic Nye characterized the debate as “the world” against Ken Ham, “the scientific community” and “billions of religious people” against this one man’s narrow literal interpretation of an ancient book. Creation Evolution Headlines, January 5, 2014.
- The Ham-Nye Creation Debate: A Huge Missed Opportunity While Ham did make a few effective points that you don't have to accept evolution to do good science, the compelling scientific evidence for design in nature got skipped over. Evolution News & Views, February 5th, 2014.
- Another Notable Explosion: Has Darwin's "Abominable Mystery," the Origin of Flowering Plants, Been Solved? Much like the Cambrian explosion of invertebrates, the rapid rise and early diversification of flowering plants in the fossil record is now also supported by genomic studies - or is it? Evolution News & Views, January 2, 2014.
- One-Third of Americans Reject Evolution, Poll Shows Notably fewer Republican now believe that humans have evolved over time. Reuters, December 30, 2013.
- Talk to the Animals? Yeah, Right More evidence continues to grow that illustrate the gap between humans and animals. Evolution News & Views, December 17, 2013.
- Baffling 400,000-Year-Old Clue to Human Origins Scientists have found the oldest DNA evidence yet of humans’ biological history adding new mysteries. The NY Times December 4, 2013.