From CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
Dr. John Morris, is a creation scientist and educator with a specialization in Geological engineering. He is the current President of the Institute for Creation Research, and son of the late Henry Morris whose seminal work is viewed by many to have initiated the modern creation science movement. John joined the faculty of ICR in 1984, and has served as the President since 1996. He has also led numerous expeditions to Mt. Ararat in search of Noah’s Ark.
Dr. Morris received his B.S. in Civil Engineering at Virginia Tech in 1969 and his M.S. in Geological Engineering at the University of Oklahoma in 1977. He received his Doctorate in Geological Engineering at the University of Oklahoma in 1980. Dr. Morris can be heard each day on the Back to Genesis radio program. He is the author of numerous books, including The Young Earth. Dr. Morris taught geology at the University of Oklahoma before joining the faculty of the ICR.
|“||As a geologist, I am convinced that the surface of the earth appears to have been shaped and remolded in the past by an incredibly dynamic watery cataclysm. The biblical Flood provides the key. If such a Flood happened, as the Bible says it happened, then it would have accomplished great geologic work. It would have eroded material from one location and deposited it in another, and in those muddy sediments would be animals and plants which had died in that Flood. Over time, those sediments would have hardened into sedimentary rock, and the dead things would have hardened into fossils. Thus, from a flood geology perspective, the rocks and fossils are the results of the Flood of Noah’s day.||”|
Noah's ark expeditions
- Main article: Noah's ark expeditions
John Morris has made thirteen visits to Mt. Ararat in search of Noah's ark. He went on his first expedition in 1972 along with John Bultema, Roger Losier, John Seiter, and Bill Ellison. When invited to join Eryl Cummings in 1982, Morris formed a separate expedition group sponsored by the Institute for Creation Research (ICR) that would work in conjuction with the Cummings and James Irwin. After allowing the Cummings group to explore the mountain, however, Turkish officials were reluctant to let another group in. Therefore, the ICR expedition was delayed and unable to join the Cummings-Irwin group.
On his many expeditions, Dr. Morris and his associates took thousands of pictures of Mt. Ararat, both from on foot and from the air. Helicopters were often used to take pictures, when weather and the Turkish government permitted it. Several times, the searchers noticed mysterious "boat-like" objects that might have been the ark, but after further inspection, the objects turned out to be natural formations. Expeditions have dug down into the glacier on Ararat in search of the ark and have used scientific equipment to search for objects hidden in the ice, but no signs of the ark were uncovered. Morris continues to hope that the ark may be preserved somewhere on Ararat or in the vicinity, and a large portion of the mountain remains to be searched.
Updates on the Search for Noah's Ark:
- Noah's Ark the Search Goes On by John D. Morris, Ph.D., Acts & Facts, Feb 1, 1983.
- The Search for Noah's Ark: 1983 by John D. Morris, Ph.D., Acts & Facts, Nov 1, 1983
- A Report on the ICR Ararat Expedition, 1987 by John D. Morris, Ph.D., Acts & Facts, Jan 1, 1988.
- The Search for Noah's Ark: Status 1992 by John D. Morris, Ph.D., Acts & Facts, Sep 1, 1992.
- Progress In The Ark Search by John D. Morris, Ph.D., Acts & Facts, Feb 1, 2002.
- B.S., Virginia Tech., Blacksburg, VA, 1969
- M.S., University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, 1977
- Ph.D., University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, 1980
- Department of Health, Education & Welfare Mining and Mineral Fuels Fellowship, 1975-76; 1976-77; *1977-78; 1978-79.
- Phillips Petroleum Graduate Fellowship, 1979-80.
- Oklahoma Mining & Minerals Research Institute Research Grant, 1979-80; 81-82.
- Sun Oil Teaching Award, 1980; 198
- Footprints in the Ash Master Books. 2003. ISBN 0890514003
- Noah's Ark and the Ararat Adventure. Master Books. 1988. ISBN 0-89051-166-7.
- What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs?. Master Books. 1990. ISBN 0-89051-159-4.
- The Young Earth. Master Books. 1994. ISBN 0-89051-174-8.
- The Modern Creation Trilogy: Scripture and Creation, Science and Creation, Society and Creation. Master Books. 1996. ISBN 0-89051-216-7.
- A Trip to the Ocean. Master Books. 2000. ISBN 0-89051-285-X.
- The Geology Book. Master Books. 2000. ISBN 0-89051-281-7.
- Does The Human Embryo Go Through Animal Stages? by John D. Morris, Acts & Facts, Aug 1, 1989.
- John Morris, geological engineering Religion and Origins Testimony #11, In Six Days, edited by John Ashton, ISBN: 0890513414.
- The Paluxy River Mystery by John D. Morris, Acts & Facts, Jan 1, 1986.
- Why Does Nearly Every Culture Have a Tradition of a Global Flood John D. Morris, Acts & Facts, September 2001.
Secular Science Journals
- Pressure Generation Inside Coal Pellets Agglomerated from Coal Fines Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Oklahoma, 1980.
- Relationship Between Coal Petrography and Optimum Coking Temperature, Special Publication, Okalahoma
- Slope Stability in Oklahoma Strip Mines, with A. K. Nikmanesh, Special Publication: Oklahoma Mining and Mineral Resources Research Institute, Norman, Oklahoma 1982.
- "Extending Present Coal Reserves with Self-Bursting Coal Pellets" Bulletin, American Association of
- Petroleum Geologists, Geologists Convention Abstracts, Vol. 67, No. 3, March 1983, pp. 519-520.
- Bursting Coal Pellets and a Method of Making Them, patent granted April 1, 1983
- Fossil Record: A Problem for Evolution Seattle Creation Conference, October 2010.
- The Young Earth Seattle Creation Conference, October 2010.
Videos from the Seattle Creation Conference 2010
|Title & Type||Description|
| Creation & the Character of God|
Audience: Morning Church Service
|The scientific evidence doesn’t support evolution. Scripture teaches against evolution and for recent creation. The god of theistic evolution is not the biblical God. Evolution has produced rotten fruit.|
| The Young Earth (Age of the Earth)|
Audience: High School and above
|There is not just proper information to know regarding the issue of origins but also a proper way to think about the issue. Properly discerned and understood, science strongly supports the biblical doctrine of the young earth. In fact, once you see it, you will see it everywhere. Five examples of young earth indicators along with several predictions which a flood model makes build the case for a young age.|
| What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs (Dinosaurs & the Bible)|
Audience: All Ages
|Where do these fascinating beasts fit in the Bible? They were created in Genesis 1; cursed in Genesis 2; fossilized in the flood; have gone extinct (probably); and provide an excellent test case for biblical thinking.|
| Creation, Evolution, & Current Issues|
Audience: High School and up
|What is the best definition for the created kind according to current scientific understanding? How does a creation or evolution worldview affect one’s understanding of racism, abortion, euthanasia, and other societal wrongs? Wrong thinking leads to and justifies wrong behavior, which the Bible calls sin. With this understanding, become aware of the impact that the correct worldview has on the current hot topics of cloning, stem cell research, and genomics.|
| Mount St. Helens|
Audience: Jr. High and up
|A fascinating glimpse into the dynamic processes of Noah’s flood. Many of the features which geologists are taught take long periods of time have been seen to form rapidly: deposition, erosion, fossilization, petrifaction, coal formation, and radioisotope dating all point toward a young earth.|
| The Search for Noah’s Ark|
Audience: All Ages
|Join a well-known ark explorer as he recounts the lessons and vital facts that he gleaned from his many trips to Mt. Ararat. Leave with an understanding of the biblical flood’s impact on geology and paleontology as well as the ark’s important spiritual analogy to the salvation message.|
| Creation and the Second Coming|
Audience: High school and up
|To really know what God plans for the Earth’s future, you must understand what He planned for it in Creation. His plan has been delayed but will not be thwarted. Compare physical and biological features of the Edenic world, the pre-flood world, the present world, the millennial world, and the New Heavens and the New Earth. The paradise lost to sin will someday be regained.|
| Questioning Evolution’s Claims|
Audience: High School
| Gain the skills needed for a powerful creation apologetic. Key evolutionary problem areas are discussed—kinds and common ancestors, transitional fossils, and origin of humans. The lecture concludes with a thorough discussion of an apologetic for whale evolution using the following key questions:
| The Flood in Scripture|
Audience: High School and up
|The global, Genesis flood discussed in biblical and scientific detail. If the flood was a global event, it laid down the rocks and fossils, and there is no evidence for evolution or an old earth. Six biblical arguments include the following: physical causes for the flood; the need for the ark; the depth of the flood; the destruction of all mankind; many expressions of global nature; promise of no more floods. Eight seemingly unanswerable flood-related questions receive a clear-cut explanation. The presentation concludes with a comparison of the global impact of both past judgment (the flood) and future judgment.|
| Flood, Fossil & Fictitious Ages|
Audience: High School and up
|In geologic uniformity, time is the hero. How exactly does a rock get dated? Indicators exist that the earth is young not old, including the clear definition of the word “day” as used in Genesis 1. The geologic time scale faces off with the global flood, anomalous fossils, and recent ICR research, including an area-wide nautiloid kill event.|
| Fossil Record: A Problem for Evolution|
Audience: Youth and Adults
|Evolution relies on, depends on, and believes in the “evolutionary story” of the fossil record. Several key facts punch holes in that foundation—the extreme rarity of transitional forms, stasis in the record, sudden appearance of complex animal and plant forms, and gaps between species. Discuss the supposed origin of fish, bats, fleas, flies, birds, dragonflies, marine reptiles, whales, and finally humans. Compare the evolutionary scenario to the creation scenario in which each type was created by a supreme Creator separately and fully formed, just as it is found in the fossil record. Conclude with a summary of the real fossil record and its record of death and extinction.|
| By Him All Things|
Audience: High School and up
|Colossians 1:16-21 constitutes one of the greatest Christology passages in Scripture. This talk examines His role as Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer throughout all of time. Illustrated with beautiful and stunning photographs.|
| In the Ages to Come|
|What will we do in eternity? Scripture doesn’t give us all the details. Just enough to speculate and dream. Consider that the universe is unthinkably large, intricate and varied, and of great beauty. There is much evidence for design and youthfulness. God created it originally under man’s stewardship, and gave him work to do, even before sin entered the world. Could it be that we will have an eternity of time to explore infinite space, “tending the garden” as it were, thereby giving Him great glory For His creative majesty and power?|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dr. John Morris, (biography provided by John), March 2010.
- ↑ John Morris, geological engineering Religion and Origins Testimony #11, In Six Days, edited by John Ashton, ISBN: 0890513414.
- ↑ An Ararat Reunion by John D. Morris, Ph.D., Acts & Facts, Aug 1, 2003.
- ↑ Noah's Ark the Search Goes On by John D. Morris, Ph.D., Acts & Facts, Feb 1, 1983.
- ↑ Noah's Ark and the Ararat Adventure by John D. Morris, Arizona: Master Books, eighth printing: October 2006.
- ↑ ICR Scientists and Faculty Institute for Creation Research
- Morris, John D. Professor of Geology by Answers in Genesis.
- John Morris by Creation SuperLibrary
- John D. Morris by Wikipedia