From CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
- This is the Enoch of the Sethite line. For the other Enoch, see Enoch (Cainite).
Enoch (Hebrew: חנוך, Khanōḵ; Greek: Ἑνώχ, Enōch; Arabic: ادريس, Idris; "dedicated" or more particularly "teaching, commencement") (Tammuz 622 AMJuly 3381 BC
Av 379 He
Tammuz 622 AM-Tammuz 987 AMJuly 3016 BC
Tammuz 744 He
Tammuz 987 AM) was the son of Jared and the father of Methuselah. He was born to his father Jared when Jared was 162 years old, in 622 AM.
Enoch had a son, Methuselah, when he was 65 years old (688 AM).
He lived to be 365 years4,514.42 mon
old. Then in 987 AM, he was translated
from earth to heaven by God
offers no explanation other than that "Enoch walked with God." Adam
was dead by then, but Seth
, and Jared
were still living, as were Methuselah
. However, Noah
had not yet been born.
"And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him." - Genesis 5:21-24 (KJV)
According the New Testament Book of Jude, Enoch was a prophet, although the Apocryphal Book of Enoch is probably not his work.
- ↑ Missler, Chuck. "Meaning of the Names in Genesis 5." Koinonia House Online. Accessed December 25, 2007.
- ↑ James Ussher, The Annals of the World, Larry Pierce, ed., Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 2003 (ISBN 0890513600), pgh. 18
- ↑ Ussher, op. cit., pgh. 19
- ↑ Ussher, op. cit., pgh. 22
- ↑ Jude 14,15