From CreationWiki, the encyclopedia of creation science
- This is Lamech son of Methuselah and father of Noah. For the other Lamech, see Lamech the Murderer.
Lamech (Hebrew: למך, Lāmeḵ; Greek: Λάμεχ, Lamech; often translated "powerful" but more properly "lament, despairing") (Tammuz 874 AMJuly 3129 BC
Av 631 He
Tammuz 874 AM-Tammuz 1651 AMJuly 2352 BC
Av 1408 He
Tammuz 1651 AM) was the son of Methuselah and the father of Noah. He was born to his father Methuselah when Methuselah was 187 years old, in 874 AM.
Lamech had a son, Noah, when he was 182 years old (1056 AM).
In naming his son, Lamech said that Noah would bring rest to an accursed world. He lived to be 777 years9,610.149 mon
old, dying in 1651 AM, five years before the global flood
"And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son: And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died." - Genesis 5:28-31
- ↑ Missler, Chuck. "Meaning of the Names in Genesis 5." Koinonia House Online. Accessed December 25, 2007.
- ↑ James Ussher, The Annals of the World, Larry Pierce, ed., Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 2003 (ISBN 0890513600), pgh. 20
- ↑ Ussher, op. cit., pgh. 24
- ↑ Ussher, op. cit., pgh. 32