The National Center for Science Education (NCSE) is an anticreationist and secular humanist organisation dedicated to promoting the teaching of evolution in public schools. The executive director is Ann Reid who succeeded Eugenie Scott in November 2013.
According to Jonathan Sarfati:
|| One of the most vociferous anti-creationist organizations is the pretentiously named National Center for Science Education. This is a humanist-founded organization, and its chief spokesperson, Eugenie Scott, is the winner of humanist awards and was also a consultant for the PBS series. It's significant that the only ‘science education’ NCSE seems interested in is evolution—not chemistry, physics, astronomy, or even experimental biology (or rocket science for that matter).
The NCSE was founded in 1981. The organization states that it holds no religious preference, and that it's members are diverse in personal faiths. The NCSE is a non-profit organization, affiliated with the American Association for the Advancement of Science. NCSE fights for the teaching of evolutionary biology in schools, while it strongly opposes religious views (particularly creationism) being taught in science classes. The NCSE is located in Oakland, California. The National Science Center for Education is supported by many big names in evolution, including Bill Nye The Science Guy.
| From the NSCE website: "The National Center for Science Education (NCSE) defends the teaching of evolution in public schools. We are a nationally-recognized clearinghouse for information and advice to keep evolution in the science classroom and "scientific creationism" out. NCSE is the only national organization to specialize in this issue. We provide:
- Reviews of current anti-evolution activity in the United States and around the world
- Background to the fundamentally creationist and anti-evolution movement known as "Intelligent Design"
- Detailed information on the Creation/Evolution controversy from 1859 to the present
- Resources for parents, teachers, school boards, and the general public ”
- National Center for Science Education
- 420 40th Street Suite 2
- Oakland, CA 94609-2509
- Phone: (510) 601-7203
- Fax: (510) 601-7204
- Website: http://www.natcenscied.org/
- ↑ Sarfati, Jonathan. Refuting Evolution 2. Greenforest AR: Master Books, 2002. (p, 30-31)