Giants are generally regarded as persons of extraordinary bulk and stature. The first mention of giants in the Bible is Genesis 6:4 which describes the pre-Flood period when it says: "There were giants in the earth in those days". Goliath of Gath, who died when fighting David, had the height of "six cubits and a span" or approximately 10 feet. 2 Samuel 21 mentions four giants and reports all of them being killed. The first two were named Isbibenob (v.16) and Saph (v.18). In v.19, the brother of Goliath, "the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam", is reported killed. In v.20, there was reported a giant with six fingers on every hand and on every foot six toes. Even today, people with a total of twenty-four fingers and toes have been identified.
There have been hundreds of credible reports over the centuries of findings of giant remains in burial mounds and tombs around the world. However, these remains have a curious tendency to disappear when sent to professional academics for examination. For obvious reasons such objects in their proper context (ie. with tools and evidence of civilization) would not survive the peer review process in scientific literature because they defy the uniformitarian evolutionary paradigm.
Like dinosaurs, giants are now extinct. As is commonly the pattern, large creatures become extinct more rapidly than smaller creatures like insects.
For reasons outlined above, any claims of material evidence of "giant men" will be found only in sources automatically deemed non-credible by the scientific establishment. Creation scientists, who tend to be defensive to claims by evolutionists that they are not "real scientists", have generally avoided the topic of the Nephilim because it is a short route to being labeled a crank.
Nevertheless, there is substantial material evidence that has fallen through the cracks of the establishment, some of which even resides in museums:
- The ancient city of Ashtaroth in the Golan Heights has cut stone buildings with giant proportions.
- Giant Inca mummies and golden garments over eight feet in length. Gold Museum, Lima, Peru.
- Giant double headed axes on display in Baghdad Museum, Iraq.
- Giant double headed axe from Cypress in the British Museum, London.
- Giant neolithic stone tools found in Australia.
- Two enormous petrified skulls found in anthracite coal bed in Pennsylvania.
- Gigantopithecus blacki, numerous remains found in China, Vietnam & India. Estimated height is ten feet.
- Meganthropus paleojavanicus (Paranthropus robustus) jaw and skull remains excavated on Swartkrans, Java in 1948, estimated to be 8 feet tall.
Almost all of the ancient mythologies of the nations around Israel and in the rest of the world included giants who were the offspring of the gods with human women. Whether the "gods" were angels or deified men, these demigod offspring may be the "men of renown" referenced by the Bible. Some of the more notable references include:
- The Sumerian King list says Gilgamesh, whose father was a phantom, ruled 126 years.
- The Greek Gigantomachy has the heroes of Olympus fighting an onslaught of giants. This may be a reference to the campaign of the Five Kings referred to in Genesis 14 .
- The Fomorians were a race of demonic giants who inhabited ancient Ireland prior to the Tuatha Dé Danann, who subdued them, and the Milesians, the ancestors of the modern Irish people.
- The Inca legends record an invasion by giants of such height that normal men came only up to their knees.
- The Welsh triads record that the island of Albion (Britain) was oppressed by giants when the Britons first arrived.
- The ancient Hebrew books of Enoch and Jubilees record a detailed tradition about the giants before the Flood and after.
- Several giant cannibalistic tribes were reported during the exploration of the New World in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
- Car-sized Turtle Found in Colombian Coal Mine Remains of an enormous turtle, which was the size of a Smart Car, have been unearthed in a Colombian coal mine. DiscoveryNews, May 18, 2012.
- Giant Whale-Eating Whale Found The skull of the 12–13 million-year-old sperm whale fossil found off the coast of Peru measures an astounding 10 feet long. DiscoveryNews, Jun 30, 2010.
- Pritchard, ANET, 3rd Edition, p. 266
- "Fomorians." Encyclopedia Mythica from Encyclopedia Mythica Online. <http://www.pantheon.org/articles/f/fomorians.html> [Accessed November 29, 2008].