Ark floated after 40 days
I think you go beyond the text to say that the bible is "quite clear" that the ark floated after 40 days.
- 12 The rain was on the earth forty days and forty nights.
- 17 The flood was forty days on the earth. The waters increased, and lifted up the ark, and it was lifted up above the earth.
- 18 The waters prevailed, and increased greatly on the earth; and the ark floated on the surface of the waters.
- 19 The waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth. All the high mountains that were under the whole sky were covered.
- 20 The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered.
- 24 The waters prevailed on the earth one hundred fifty days.
Your interpretation could be right, but I do not think it is "quite clear". The forty in verse 17 could refer back to the forty in 12 and the whole of 17-23 could be an expansion of 12. In that case, 12 says it rained for 40 days and 17-23 say what happened during the 40 days.
This does not invalidate the tidal bore theory but might require that the events be compressed into a shorter time.
Oelphick 05:34, 11 September 2006 (EDT)